Other things you might enjoy

Friday, July 8, 2011

Breckenfridge-- Summer Style

Happy Thursday!


As I write this, it is after 5pm and I am sitting at my desk in my office.  Why you ask?  Well, apparently it is MONSOON season in Denver.  I left home in my 4 1/2in blush pink Joan and David's . . . and definitely don't have my trusty Hunter boots under my desk.  DRAT!

Bad in rain

Good in rain














Modis is a really gorgeous space

So, while I sit here and wait out the rain, I wanted to share about one of the best parts of being married--- weekend trips!


This past weekend for the 4th of July, we went up to Breckenridge.  We had a couple friends with us, but only for part of the weekend--- and we managed to steal away for a date night.  The first place we went was Modis for a cocktail.  I absolutely love this place.  They have a really eclectic drink menu and their food is fabulous as well.  However, we didn't stay-- because we wanted to hit a classic Breck spot, Downstairs at Eric's (because everywhere else just sucks) (not really, but that's what their shirts say).  I ordered their Southwestern Veggie Burger and it really was incredible.  The burger itself was really really flavorful and actually looked like a burger (sorry Gardenburger people, it might taste okay... but yours look kinda gross.)  I only finished half, so I got to have the rest of it the next day.... which made me a happy Mrs! 
On Monday, the 4th we had the entire day to ourselves!  (oh yes, an entire date day!)  There was a lot going on in Breck on the 4th and we were lucky enough to do a little bit of everything. We got up early and took Dally downtown to get some breakfast.  After we ate, we wandered through the art festival and spent some time with a watercolor artist, Laine Dobson.  His work is really beautiful and surprisingly masculine for watercolor.  His use of color reminds me a little of Richard Thomas-- who is one of my dad's favorites. 

The day was so gorgeous, Mr. MHH, Dally and I decided to hike up Peak 9 a little bit.  We had a great time and I got some fabulous photos!
Dally played in the runoff stream but only for a moment-- it was freezing!

Mr. MHH and Dally Bear


Mr. MHH loved it!

After nature-hike part of date day, Dally was exhausted... so we walked back to the condo and I finished my weekend mission:  TO MAKE AN APPLE PIE.  I did it!  I peeled 8 apples by hand, managed to make the crust without a food processor (the pastry blender and I battled), rolled out the dough, cut it for the lattice work, filled the pie, placed the lattice, baked the thing, and it was so yummy!  I have never baked a pie before and was quite nervous about the whole thing, especially considering that I was baking at 10,000 feet --- yes, altitude DOES make a difference. 
 

 
The rest of our day consisted of walking around town together enjoying the day.  We dinnered (I like that "word") at Mi Casa-- because you can't go to Breck and NOT go to Mi Casa, (hellooo margarita!) watched the fireworks (lame), and rested our eyes to prepare for the week ahead.

Why fire fighters are cute



No comments:

Post a Comment